Assessment Of Damages Still Ongoing At The AK Steel Holding (NYSE:AKS) Fire In Middletown

The assessment of damages is still underway at the AK Steel Holding Corporation (NYSE:AKS) fire in Middletown. Sources indicate that the assessment might take the fire officials about two weeks and they will be seeking to establish the exact cause of the fire and the costs of the losses incurred.

Several Company and fire officials have moved ahead to disclose that the cracked vessel had been carrying molten steel. It at some point ignited causing a huge fire which eventually led to major losses.

The unfortunate incident was for the first time reported at 8:30 am and it was at that particular time that a heavy smoke was spotted emanating from the burning structure. It was a matter that sparked worries among quite a significant number of people and it is not the first time that such an incident is happening according to a person familiar with the matter.

Paul Lolli,the Middletown Fire Chief said “the molten steel ignited other equipment and the building when it poured out at the Basic Oxygen Furnace which is located in the 3400 block of Lefferson Road at the sprawling complex. Molten metal reportedly flowed through the building and the second floor concrete collapsing at one point, causing crews to be removed from the first floor.”

Jeff Spaulding, who happens to be the Deputy Fire Chief proceeded to say that the ladle that bore the molten steel was most probably released before eventually being poured into molds. He has moved ahead to reveal that no cases of death have been reported and from the records all the employees are safe and sound.

The company has asserted that it will continue with its investigations which are geared towards establishing the exact cause. In case anyone will be found liable, it will move by the law to ensure that the person or persons in question are brought to book.

Spaulding also stated that one of the firefighters/paramedics succumbed to minor injuries but was rushed to Atrium Medical Center where he received treatment. He was released after a short while. It is still difficult to give approximations of the damages that occurred.